Monday, October 4, 2010

Fashioning Fashion at LACMA

Since I can remember, I have always had a love for the fashion from the era of the French Revolution. I may not have known what the French Revolution was at the time I was supposed to, but I sure knew that the intricate style of dress was definitely for me.

To put it simply, I'm a sucker for a structured fabric, a high neck and anything that shows off a figure without showing too much skin. This may be in part to my Connecticut upbringing, however, I doubt it. Maybe it had something to do with the stories I was always immersed in, or perhaps, a little show called "Little House on the Prairie". Who can say really?

I was fortunate enough to attend the Fashioning Fashion exhibit at LACMA this weekend and was able to take some pictures without getting thrown out.

The picture below is for those of you who complain when I tell you that Spanx is not an option, it's a necessity. Imagine wearing these undergarments instead?


Interesting and intricate sewing on these early pieces.

Nothing better than a fancy dressed man in my opinion. This outfit made me a little bit envious...

This is the "calico" pattern that they always refer to when reading literature. Honestly, I had no idea either.

Is it just me or does Burberry seem a little bit unoriginal now?

Gorgeous. The tiniest waist ever, but none the less, gorgeous dress.


After seeing these amazing, hand sewn pieces, it made me a little bit sad that even I occasionally fall victim to the mass marketed, cheap pieces that are so readily available now. This experience made me appreciate the incredible hard work and true art that fashion is, and why I fell in love with it in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment