Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hair Envy or Why The F*CK Did I Cut My Hair?

(picture from Harper's Bazaar circa 2008)

So about a year ago (10 months to be exact), when I was working full time styling and doing photography for a sample sale website in Downtown L.A. I decided to test my limits on how far I could push my own look and cut my hair off. I didn't just cut it into a pixie cut which would have been devastating enough, oh no, that would have been WAY too easy to grow out, instead I cut the mother f*ing living shit out of my hair. Translation: My hair was mostly shaved with a cool longer part in the front that hung down or as I liked to wear it; spiked straight up on top of my head. For about three solid months I loved this look. I was cool, I was edgy, I was finally living free! Until one day, I started to really miss my hair. And when that longing hit, I was really unprepared.

For some reason I have a delayed reaction about every situation I have ever come across, whether it's monumental or what I just ordered for dinner. It must be a survival mechanism that is stuck in the on position, because I am pretty sure normal people have normal reactions in a normal time frame.

So I began the long process of growing it out. And because I had gone to such extremes, my curly hair had to grow out and fuzzy before it had any weight to start to grow down. So here I am, almost a year later, and my hair is still short. I am so sick of it, I want to just pull a Kate Gosselin and get really crappy extensions so my damn neck is warm for once. Thank God this is L.A. and nobody can make a move without a scarf on. (It must be a law or something)

Why the picture of Julia Roberts? Oh, I just wanted to be sure to give you the best visual I possibly can when I explain this to you; when my hair is long and not washed, that is pretty damn close to what it looks like. Yeah... And.I.Cut.It.Off.

I'm beginning to wonder when I'll ever learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment