Monday, November 1, 2010

Hire Me Goddammit.

(picture from jobschange.org)

When looking through my sent box the other day I realized just how many jobs I have applied for and just how many I have not even been considered for.

To tell you the truth, I used to feel like the girl in the picture above, well I still do actually, however the one below is how I feel right now after realizing just how many jobs I have applied for and not heard back from.
(picture from kawasaki.com)

The job market is humbling to say the least.

I had an employer tell me last year that even though I wasn't experienced in the field he hired me for, I was smart, therefore I could learn whatever he taught me. He showed me that I could do all of the styling, writing and the photography for a deadline driven sample sale website. I even moonlighted helping the buyers at that same job. It was fantastic, fun and I felt alive.

However the dreaded (I hate hearing this word, so I feel like a hypocrite using it) economy, got the best of my situation and here I am, freelancing.

I'm not complaining. As a freelancer, I've been pretty damn lucky. However, it still sucks to live in fear, pondering over every word or outfit I put together, knowing that there are thousands of people just like me who would love to have the opportunity that I have been given. I'm not made of stone, I think about that when I'm working sometimes and it freaks me out to the point of having to get up and do something else for a little while before I can settle down to complete an assignment.

Case in point; I was hired to write for a gourmet Rice Krispie company. The job is fun for Christsakes, and I still take all of the fun out of it by thinking about how lucky I am to have it in the first place.

Maybe I should lay off the caffeine.

No comments:

Post a Comment