Thursday, November 4, 2010

Why Mom's Dress Mom-Like

 (image from mommyposh.com)

As much as I like to pretend that I am far superior fashionably to most mom's, I'm really not during the weekdays when I am in full on Mom mode.  No. I'm not rocking mom jeans or sneakers (unless they're my leopard print Puma's) with faded jeans when I'm pushing the stroller, but I'm not wearing anything particularly fabulous either.

Case in point?  I found a cute little summer dress at a sample sale that I paid $10 for. (One thing I can do is hunt out a bargain when it comes to fashion, it's a true gift) This particular dress is a royal blue halter dress and it's really cute, if not subtly sexy.  I've even worn it with heels and gone out for drinks.  So I decided that with sparkly flat sandals, it would make a great casual outfit today because we are having a heat wave.  After all, it's 90 degrees inside our un-airconditioned apartment.

Since the thought of eating while sitting in our home that is now an oven is absolutely nauseating, I decided to take the kids to their favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner.  And, let's face it, I'm dressed presentably enough to be seen in public, so why not?  I am the cool Mom today!

Until... my 2 year old throws a tantrum at the table and is wearing the milk she is supposed to be drinking and then literally lays in the salsa bowl.  After realizing that even a visit from Santa Claus himself isn't going to save this meal and allow the people around us to enjoy theirs, I quickly pay the bill and get our dinner to go...just in time for the little one to throw herself on the ground and start screaming.  This, of course, leaves me no option but to pick her up and hold her tightly to me while she is kicking and screaming, allowing all of the milk and salsa to press wonderfully into my cute little dress.  By the time we reach the car, we are both wearing her runny nose, tears and a disgusting, sweaty combination of food that should never be mixed together.  My dress is dangerously close to slipping off and what's left of it is of course, wet and disgusting.  And I finally realized in that moment, that this is EXACTLY why Mom's get so comfortable in their unattractive clothing. Who has disposable income to ruin outfit after outfit when their kids are in their terrible twos?

The trick is to dress to kill anytime you don't have kids and as soon as they hit Kindergarten, go out and buy yourself a new wardrobe, because believe me, you earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment