Monday, November 29, 2010

The West Has Won My Wardrobe

(image from girlstalkinsmack.com)

Growing up on the East Coast gives you an intense appreciation for structured fabric, sleek fitting coats, heels and of course, black. It's not in my nature to embrace the flowing, layer-y-ness that encompasses living on the West Coast. For the first six months I lived here, I couldn't understand the importance of a pair of Uggs when worn with a dress.

However, before that gets taken as negatively, let me explain. I now understand that the reason why the style of dress is completely different in Los Angeles. It developed out of two things; nicer weather and necessity. The fact that it is considerably sunnier does do something positive to the psyche, shaping it into a totally different disposition. When you wear black on a sunny day you can't help but feel like you are raining on someone's parade. And as far as the Uggs goes, well, one thing I have realized about L.A. is this: when you are standing in the sun you are standing in all that California is known for, the sunshine, the warmth, the happiness. When you are standing in the shade however, it's like standing on a different continent where the wind is cold and the dampness seeps into your bones. Those Uggs with the dress may look crazy, but the flowy dress is perfect for the sunshine and the boots help you to not freeze during the time you're in the shade. There is actually a method to the madness that has turned into a West Coast fashion statement.

Layers are not in my nature, however, I have learned to adapt.  I used to feel fat whenever I wore more than one layer, now I have just gotten over it.  The weather here is bi-polar.  Seriously, you can basically have all four seasons in one day. The morning is cold, (unless it's a heat wave) the afternoons are warm to hot, and as soon as the sun goes down, the evenings are cold. And as I said before, layering is not something that came naturally to me. As a matter of fact, I despised it so much when I first moved here, I found myself either sweating or freezing most of the time. I had to stop fighting it and go out and buy a more layering friendly wardrobe. This means, T-Shirts, Open Cardigans, and (God help me) lightweight scarfs. Gone are my days of choosing a black turtleneck and a coat and being done with it. Now getting dressed actually requires a lot more thought, and honestly, a lot more fun. Yeah, I said it, layering with color, is actually fun. 

Case in point, when going to pick out a Çhristmas tree, I was wearing a tank top, an open cardigan, a floral scarf, jeans and knitted Uggs.  While I was standing next to the tree we were purchasing, waiting for an attendant, my husband said, "This is your look, " as he gestured to my outfit, "you look great like that." The old me would have shot the woman wearing this outfit a nasty look and hissed under her breath, "get ahold of yourself, and take that stupid scarf off!" The L.A. Mom I have become was happy.

I think the sunshine has gotten to me.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dear,
    Amazing blog! Very entertaining and witty. I'm starting a high-end ladies fashion brand and might have some ongoing work for you in near future for our site, blog and etc.
    If interested, contact me at:
    get.kushe@gmail.com

    Cheers,
    A/

    ReplyDelete